Blowing Up a Balloon
- Fill your bottle ¼-½ full with water
- Add 2 teaspoons of citric acid
- Put the lid on the bottle and shake until the citric acid has dissolved
- Put 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda into the balloon. You may need to use a funnel or have someone help you!
- Put the neck of the balloon over the neck of the bottle.
- Lift up the balloon so the bicarbonate of soda falls into the bottle.
- Watch the balloon blow up!
- Open your balloon-copter.
- Take the piece that has 3 little tubes sticking out of it. Find the 3 long propellers and stick one onto each tube.
- Take the other small piece, that has a short nozzle on one side and a longer nozzle on the other side.
- Stretch the neck of the balloon over the short nozzle.
- Blow the balloon up by blowing through the longer nozzle. Pinch the neck of the balloon so that it doesn’t fly away.
- Attach the long nozzle to the middle of the piece that has the propellers attached.
- Let go of the balloon and throw it up into the air!
Popping Test Tube
- Take the lid off your test tube.
- Add ½ tsp citric acid.
- Then add ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- Add 1 pipette of water and quickly put the lid on. Make sure you don’t hold it under your face just in case it pops before you are ready.
- Hold it in front of you with your arm stretched right out.
- If it doesn’t pop straight away, keep your arm stretched out and shake the test tube gently.
- If you are quick enough, put the lid back on and see if it will pop again!
- Put on your rainbow glasses and look out the window (never look directly at the sun) or at the lights in the room.
- You should see lots of rainbows!
- Pour your slime powder into a pot or bowl.
- Slowly add half a cup of water. Stir!
- Using your spoon, or a stick, slowly stretch some of your slime out of the pot to see how stretchy it is.
- Make sure to keep it in the bowl or pot, and away from carpets!
The Science – The powder is so absorbent it absorbs (soaks up) all of the water and sticks together to make slime!