You will need:
- 4 cups
- 4 candy canes
- Washing up liquid
- Fill the cups 3/4 up with each liquid. (If you want to be really scientific, measure your liquids out in a jug/measuring cup first!)
- Put a candy cane in each cup.
- Decide how long you are going to leave them for and set a timer (5 or 10 minutes works well) and press start.
- Remove the candy canes and look at the changes.
The science bit:Things dissolve when they mix with a liquid to form a solution. Sugar can’t dissolve certain liquids that aren’t polar (e.g. oil ) because the bonds cannot be broken so it cannot mix with the liquid.
Why not try?:
- Using different liquids
- Leaving the candy canes for more/less time
- Trying the liquids at different temperatures