You will need:
- A lemon – mine was quite an old one, which was good as it stopped me from wasting food.
- A spoon
- A knife (get a grown-up’s help for this one!)
- Bicarbonate of Soda
- A spare container; the second ramekin (little dish) in my photograph has a dash of washing-up liquid under the recommendation of another experimenter; however, I found that I didn’t need this.
1) Cut the two ends off of the lemon with the knife.
2) Use the spoon to core out some of the middle.This should make a “bowl” shape like the image above.
3) Squeeze out the lemon juice from the lemon-ends into the spare container.
4) Add some bicarbonate of soda to your lemon-bowl.
The lemon juice will react with the soda and create an eruption. If your reaction is underwhelming, add a little of your spare lemon juice… If you like, try testing the lemon volcano method with other citrus fruit. Does it work with lime? Orange? Grapefruit?