- At least one wooden toothpick
- A plate or tray
- Taking your plate or tray, you’ll first want to fill it with water so that you have a shallow pool for your toothpick to float on. Place your pool of water on a hard surface.
- Next up, squeeze out a bit of shampoo and dab a bit of it on your finger. What happens when you put your finger in the pool of water?
- Now let’s try applying it to the toothpick. Repeat the same process again, but this time dab a small amount of shampoo onto the tip of your toothpick. What happens when you place the toothpick into the pool of water? You should find that the toothpick starts to travel, with the end of the toothpick covered in shampoo boosting the toothpick along in the opposite direction.
- And that’s the ‘turbo toothpick’ experiment in a nutshell – However, the fun’s not over yet! If you’ve got plenty more toothpicks at hand, you can turn each one of them into ‘turbo toothpicks’ and race them against each other. Why not try different sized toothpicks or different amounts of shampoo? What works best and what doesn’t?